Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Help Movie/Book

So this post is a bit different to usual, but hey.

The Help

To start, The Help (movie) is based on the novel by Kathryn Stockett telling the stories of African American maids working in white households in Jackson, Mississipi USA in the 1060's where racial segregation is a major part of society.


When I first went to see the movie with my friend Bel I had never even heard of the movie before, let alone know it was based on a best selling novel. I'll tell you one thing though, I was impressed with what I saw. 

The movie had the whole cinema laughing and crying, really getting involved with the whole plot. Emma Stone was fantastic, as was Octavia Spencer, Viola Davis and the rest of the cast. Everyone played their parts wonderfully and it was just so well done.

 Octavia Spencer & Viola Davis as Minny & Aibileen

Emma Stone as Miss Skeeter


For a very long time, basically since I saw the movie I refused to read the book, thinking it might not be as good as the movie, that it might ruin my thoughts of it. Though after conversations with my friend Kim and her telling me how much she enjoyed the book I gave in and ordered it. Am I glad that I did.
The poor fiance got neglected the last two days as I read basically non-stop. 



The book was amazing and for once the movie really did it justice. 
The movie included all the main and really important factors listed in the book.
Not to mention the book itself was amazing. The book switched point of views from the three main characters, Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny. To start it was hard to get used the different writing styles and lack of grammar but it really made the whole thing more effective and gave an interesting insight. 



This line was one that Aibileen said frequently to the young white girl she was raising, who really was not treated the best by her mother. It was touching.

If you haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, I suggest you do so.




All images are from Google.

1 comment:

  1. I adored this book and movie.
    It was heartbreaking watching Aibaleen get attached to that little girl, to treat her so well, and then to get spoken to in that way by her employer ( sorry can't remember her name!)
    At the start I wasn't that find of Minnie, but grew to love her! That pie, and poor Miss Cecilia who never fit in!

    ReplyDelete