Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Weddings & Family

So since tomorrow is the first day of August, I thought I should start discussing some of the ideas the fiance and I have come up with for the wedding with Mum. 

Now I kind of regret it.

My mother and I have never had the best relationship (though it's better now I live out of home) and she has always been super opinionated. I just knew she would have something negative to say about our plans so far. I'll give her points that she was actually pretty good, but it was still a kick in the guts in a way. All you want is your parents approval really, but I didn't get it.

There was the "well the wedding is still a while away, you might change your mind" line and the "well I would do things differently, but it's not my day" type lines which are just laced with "what on earth are you thinking?". I know she is more traditional than I am, but all I really wanted was something positive.



She hated the lolly bar idea, was very disappointed we veto-d sugared almonds, dislikes we have chosen a cocktail function, then went stingee as and suggest getting flower from woolies to make lapel pins for the men? I said I wanted to save money, not be a scrooge. 



Then there is this competition she is having with M's Mum. Though his Mum doesn't know it. She's a bit jealous I think.

On the plus side she liked my brooch bouquet idea and is more than willing to help with that.

Anyone got any tips to help deal with family? We're not going to budge on what we want (most things anyway), but ways to politely say that or anything?

Dress shopping will be interesting that is for sure.

3 comments:

  1. My mum and I have an amazing relationship and she will always come up with a way to change her opinion to make it looks like she agrees with me for the wedding just to put me at ease. BUT when she doesn't, I just usually give her the "no mum people don't care about that anymore" or "trust me i've seen it on a million sites, it will look amazing".... just something that's not directly hating her suggestion, but maybe hinting that things are different now and my views are different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are lucky to have that :) I will give those lines a shot :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete