Monday, June 27, 2011

A Ramble from Tumblr.

More often then not lately people keep asking such personal questions about the future and I admit it has me thinking, but at the same time I just want to tell them all to go away. It seems that as people reach a certain stage in their life or even just as they form their own ideas about how life should go they start to pressure you and suddenly your age becomes the enemy. Whatever happened to taking things at you own pace and respecting people’s ability to make their own choice?

In talking to my friend, lets call her R, she posed an interesting question in regards to marriage. One that came up because R and I were talking about Catherine Zeta Jones and how she opted not to take her husbands name - R then said: “ I have a rather kickass RL last name (as do you, incidentally), and I’d hate to give it up.” Interesting question, one that really I hadn’t considered. What would you do in that choice? Is it the thing to do? No, it’s not a concern at the moment, sure one day it could happen but there are no plans for that any time soon. I wish certain people would stop hinting and asking about it. Again, just because your pace was a lot faster then ours does not mean ours is wrong.

The other big topic at the moment: Children. Several people I know have either had or are having a baby and I offer the biggest congratulations and happiness to all of them. It’s great they get to start their own family and are happy, but again, there are certain people placing the pressure about the idea of kids and soon. Is it hard for some of those people to, again, think that they are at a different stage of their life, that again, people have a different plan and are moving at their own pace? Or that like another friend of mine, that children might not be in the plan?
I’ve never thought that of people my age as old. Older then some friends, siblings etc yes, but how did life manage to sneak up and make such major life events like these the topics? Life is amazing in how it all changes and skips ahead without you really realising.

And no, this isn’t directed at anyone in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment