Monday, November 12, 2012

Ring Dilemma

The one problem with weight loss? Your ring gets too big. 
The problem with my ring?
It's now too big and I can't size it.

When M first got the ring it was 2.5 sizes too big for my tiny K 1/2 finger. It was a battle to get the jewellers to size it then since it was just out of their size range without voiding warranties but they did it after their state manager gave his approval.
  But now the K1/2 size is at least one whole size too big, probably more. 
I am kind of regretting not getting the ring remade now since it's almost falling off my finger. But then I'm attached to this ring and was even from the start. 

It was THE ring he proposed with. No ring they made would be that ring. 
It's sentimental.
My ring looking all pretty & shiny after it's clean.

But now I'm scared about losing it. People say when I get my wedding band it will be better but I don't know? MH say they have to make the ring the same size, so then I'd have two rings that won't fit properly?

Does anyone have any suggestions?? 
I'm hopefully going to see another out of town jeweller this weekend so I hope he might have some ideas. 

Whilst I was there I asked about the matching wedding band and this is what it will look like but obviously mine will be white gold. 



I really like the look of it, but MH annoyed me yet again. They want 6-8 weeks to make it AND want my engagement ring for 6-8 weeks. Two months without my ring is ridiculous!! It was torture enough going without it for a week to have the rhodium plating/clean done. I understand the reason why, but the time frame is far too excessive. Upto a month I understand but two is nuts.

AND anyone that shops/watches tv/reads junk mail knows how often MH has a sale, but even if that ring went on sale I wouldn't get a sale price because they'd have to make the ring. Which to me is just plain rude since they had to make the rings to sell in the first place - hence my planned visit to this other jeweller to see if he can custom make me something.


Whilst I'm on the topic of rings, I found this one for the fiancé.

He didn't really want a ring since he can't wear it often and didn't want to waste money on an expensive ring he wouldn't wear. Thankfully I found that there are actually some nice rings out there for guys that aren't going to empty the wallet.


This one is from Gillett's Jewellers and is a bargain for a nice titanium ring. I'm going to get M to try on rings for size and then order this one for him.

Has anyone else had dramas with their engagement ring/wedding bands and their sizing?

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm have you tried... dang I can't thing of the name, but they are like a bracket thing that goes inside the ring.. have you tried one of them? Most jewellers will know, my friend tried one and said it really worked! I find in the warmer months mine fits better... but YEY FOR WEIGHT LOSS! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh no I haven't, I didn't even know there was such a thing! I will definitely ask. Thank you!
      And I totally agree! Yay!

      Delete
  2. I wish I had tiny fingers like that! My ring also got too big before the wedding. But when my wedder was added behind the engagement ring, it pushed the e-ring up on my finger... must have been a fatter part - because it was fine. It's still a bit too loose to wear by itself, but I always wear my wedder, so not really a problem.

    We bought my e-ring overseas, so had to find a jeweller at home who could make/supply the wedder. We went to a manufacturing jeweller who was fabulous. We had our rings custom made. They cost about the same as rings we had looked at in shops, but the diamonds had much better specs.

    It took about 2 weeks to have our rings made. A good jeweller should be able to tell you when the work will be scheduled in.

    What I liked about going to a manufacturing jeweller was that you were talking to the jeweller... the person who was doing the work, rather than a sales assistant.

    Can I ask where you found the titanium ring? I am looking for rings that we can wear while travelling.

    Good luck with the jeweller visit. I am sure they will be able to help you out and go through your options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should read.... you did tell us where the ring is from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe that's no worries - this is the website anyway: http://gilletts.com.au I've bought from them on several occasions before and never had an issue. :)

      And you so don't! It makes it so hard to fine rings that will fit.. That does make sense about the wedder doing that. My finger looks a bit fatter closer to the knuckle so it could work. I am liking the sound of a custom made ring more and more now. I'll have to do a post & let you all know what the jeweller says. Thanks :)

      Delete