The holiday to Airlie Beach was utterly fantastic! I had the best time. The weather was so lovely and I ended up with a beautiful tan. We got to be touristy, relax and see the Great Barrier Reef. We went out on a Cruise Whitsundays boat to a reef pontoon and spent the day snorkelling, seeing the reef and just relaxing. It was like 3 hours each way to the reef but it was so worth it. The wedding we went to over there was just amazing too. The bride looked stunning and the whole day was just perfect from the location, to the ceremony, to the photos and the reception. I had the most fantastic time and met some of the most amazing people that it didn't matter I had gone there only knowing M, the best man.
The very last day we spent in Airlie Beach M and I went on an Ocean Rafting Trip out to the reef & Whitehaven Beach. That day is one I will remember and treasure forever. The boat trip out was such fun. First stop was this little island where we went on a bit of a bushwalk up to the most amazing view point. The water was so blue, the sand so white. Everything was so untocuhed and pristine in it's beauty. We got lots of great photos, this one of the scenery is one of my favourites by far.
After that we got back aboard our zodiac boat and then stopped about another 20 minutes later on a reef. Clad in just our swimmers and with a snorkel we jumped overboard and got to spend more time snorkelling this amazing reef. The colours of the fish and the coral were so bright and different to the other reef we went too. Maybe because this place was not so commercialised or whatever but it was so amazing. M was all sweet and held my hand as we swam along. It was so much fun.
The next destination was Whitehaven beach. And here is the exciting news!
I'M ENGAGED!!
We walked a bit up the beach and then went through a look through the bush area. Once we were back on the beach we walked hand in hand just making idle chit chat about how nice the spot was and about all the boats. I think we had walked about half way down the beach when we stopped and contemplated the idea of turning around and walking back. Before I could take the first step back to our spot he stopped me and asked me if I wanted to clean my jewelley (the sand on whitehaven is a high silica content or something like that and thus good for cleaning jewellery). I said no I wouldn't bother and then he pulls the most beautiful diamond ring out of his pocket and asks "what about this one?" I was so floored. I actually said to him, "what?". He just looked at me and I gave him the biggest hug. I was holding the ring over his shoulder and just staring at in disbelief. We pulled a little bit a part and I looked up at him, trying to read his eyes. Looking straight back at me he said "Marry Me". I stumbled out a yes and kissed him. He asked me if he had to get down on one knee but I told him I would spare him that embarrassment, I didn't want everyone on the beach staring at us. Needless to say the rest of that day I kept smiling like an absolute happy in love idiot. There was lots of hugs, cuddles and kisses that afternoon.
We went for a swim after that and Mark made sure I took my ring off and we hid it safely back in his wallet. There was even a comment of "You better not lose it". Bless. As it turns out the reason he was late to pick me up from the Mackay airport was not because he got lost, but because he had been buying my ring. It was so sweet really, he didn't want to get caught out buying the ring in our home town and wanted to completely surprise me, which he totally did.
Anyway, not long after our swim it was time to return back to Airlie. The ride back to shore was so much fun too, the driver did donuts and tricks in the boat it was such an adrenalin rush.
Most of our family and friends were so excited and happy at the news except for a few which was really disppointing, one in particular but thankfully she seems to have snapped out of it now. I can't believe how many people cried or rang up practically screaming.
The flight back to reality was long, the weather when we got home cold and rainy. The few days we had at home was so nice. We did the visiting of the rellies, sharing the news. Got my gorgeous ring resized and spent some time around the house. Watched the AFL Grand Final.
Being back at work was a shock and now, two weeks back in it felt like I never had holidays, except for the gorgeous photos I have and bling on my finger. Work has been so busy trying to catch up - no one covered for me whilst I was away and the silly little things they forgot without me being there was just madness. I've almost got it all covered and up to date.
It was my birthday yesterday and I got rather spoilt, I'm so lucky to have such giving friends and family. The girls gave me this really cute wedding planner, it's hot pink. It was such an amazing and thoughtful gift, I can't wait to actually get to use it and plan my wedding. M and I would get married tomorrow if we had the money. Gah money. We're planning an engagement party soon enough too.
Our parents met for the first time over dinner last night and seemed to get along really well which is just awesome. Both had points to bond over, talk about and it now seems like engagement party planning will be full steam ahead once we pick the date for it - the same with wedding plans as well. So much to think about, so much to do. Plus the house is still a mess waiting for more painting to be done. One step at a time I think.
Here are a few more happy snaps from our trip.







No comments:
Post a Comment